Beginning in June of 2006, Warren County Historical Society published a weekly column in The Post Star that focused on local history: places, events, and people in and around Warren County. This continued for 5 years until the newspaper informed us that there wasn’t space any longer for the column.
The society waited about a year before deciding to start the column again, this time as a bi-weekly column on our website.
Beginning in June of 2012, we have posted two new Rewind columns each month, roughly on the 1st and 15th. While you may see a duplicate topic on occasion, the topics are sometimes repeated because of new, different, or additional information that was made available.
If you wish to see any of the first five years of the column, you can contact the Society to view copies of each of them.
The Society is always looking for people interested in researching and writing new Rewind columns for us. If you have an interest or a story to share, call us at 518-743-0734, or email us at [email protected].
Rewind: February 15, 2021 Land Titles and Land Grants – Making Warren County This material comes from History of Warren County, (1885) Edited by H. P. Smith. This book is perhaps the best source for early history, and has become the go-to source, especially for people who don’t have the… Read More
Rewind: February 1, 2021 WHISH of the SKATES by Eloise O’Neil “Outdoor recreation is actually a process of recreating the body, spirit and mind.” -Joseph Hackett Ice sports have been a chilly aspect of the adventure of living in the North Country. Some sports attract serious contenders with amazed spectators and other ice sports… Read More
Rewind: January 15, 2021 Chestertown’s Only Hatless Man by David Waite We have an interesting article written by one of our new contributors, David Waite. David’s family has connections to Stony Creek. Even after one hundred years, this banner headline from 1914 could still draw in a reader to investigate: The subjects of this… Read More
A Little Bit of History January 6, 2021 The Warren County Historian’s office was recently given two scrapbooks that were kept by someone in the early 1930s to the mid-1940s. One of the scrapbooks is labelled “Glens Falls History” and the second is labelled “Glens Falls & Vicinity Book 2… Read More
Rewind: December 15, 2020 – “A Bittersweet Memory” The Warren County Historical Society wishes everyone a safe and healthy holiday season! A BITTERSWEET MEMORY Shopping in Glens Falls One of the favorite Christmas songs in our American culture has been “Silver Bells.” The lyrics conjure up idyllic visions of what the holidays should… Read More
The Bertram E. Murray Bridge Between the Towns of Bolton and Warrensburg is a spot called ‘Riverbank.’ In 1940, the bridge there that crosses the Schroon River was given a name to honor the life and public service of a special individual, Bertram E. Murray. … Read More
The ‘Time Globe’ – Invented by Louis P. Juvet of Glens Falls Advertised as “the only instrument that illustrates the difference in time between any two or more places,” a ‘time globe’ invented by a Warren County man was exhibited at the Philadelphia Centennial Exposition in 1876. The inventor… Read More
We welcome a new member to our Rewind writing staff with this article on Michael Donovan, local champion from Warren County. David Waite, a history buff from Amsterdam, New York has expressed an interest in sharing some of is historical research. Check out David’s bio at the end of the article. Welcome to the writing… Read More
Horse Racing Here in Glens Falls North on Glen Street in Glens Falls there are three streets that are unique to others. Lincoln, Coolidge and Horicon Avenues are wider than most and also have very attractive homes. This area seems to be historically younger than other city neighborhoods. According to residents, there are stories about… Read More
A New Sign Dots the Stony Creek Landscape On Saturday, September 5, 2020, a new historical marker was unveiled in the Town of Stony Creek. The sign was made available with a grant by the William G. Pomeroy Foundation in Syracuse, New York. The bright blue and yellow sign was erected on the… Read More