Warren County Historical Society Presents …

The Digital Version “REWIND”

June 15, 2019

 

We had a positive response with our article on our Sears and Roebuck article, so we thought we would highlight some other businesses who are no longer part of the local scene.

Do you remember Erlanger’s Men’s and Boys’ Store in Downtown Glens Falls?

The following information was found in the 1963 Sesquicentennial Edition of The Glens Falls Times.

Erlangers’

Erlanger Store for Men, Boys Opened in 1923

Erlangers’ Men’s and Boys’ Store at 194 Glen St., is marking its 40th anniversary this year (1963), having been established in 1923 by the late William Erlanger.  At that time the business was started at 126 Glen St., and the late Kieran Watters was made manager.

The company was incorporated in 1925 and the store was moved to its present location. Officers of the corporation:  Julius Erlanger, President; Lester Erlanger, Vice President; Mr. Watters, Secretary.

Four years later, at the height of the depression, the corporation gave concrete evidence of the progressive nature of the firm and its confidence in Glens Falls by installing an ultra-modern front in the stores.  By the spring of 1936, it was found essential to add still more space, this being acquired by taking over several offices on the second floor of the building. The most modern store fixtures were installed at that time.

After the death of Julius Erlanger in 1957, and of Mr. Watters in October 1958, Howard Ornstein became president of the firm.  He and his wife, Doris, who now reside at 28 Coolidge Ave., purchased stock of the corporation and became sole owners of the store.

With the change in ownership, Mr. Ornstein continued as president, with Mrs. Ornstein as vice president and secretary of the corporation.

For years the store has handled quality merchandise, carrying such well-known products as Hickey Freeman, Botany ‘500,’ Pendleton Woolens, McGregor Sportswear, Dobbs hats, and much other fine brand name merchandise.

Since Mr. Ornstein took over, the store has been completely remodeled and the main floor thoroughly modernized. The business continues to grow with the policy of quality merchandise, service of the finest and the satisfaction of its patrons as the outstanding aims of the firm.

This article was transcribed by Ethan Snowball, high school intern, and was found in the 1963 Sesquicentennial Edition of the Glens Falls Times.  Anyone wishing to see the newspaper is welcome to visit the Society during open hours.  Call 518-743-0734 for information.

 

Warren County Historical Society // 50 Gurney Lane // Queensbury, NY 12804 // (518) 743-0734

 

Click here to email us!

 

Home :: Historical Highlights :: News :: Projects :: Programs & Special Events :: Volunteers

Research Library :: Collections & Publications :: Membership

 

Site Hosted by Mannix Marketing in Glens Falls